Gary S. Vasilash
Gary S. Vasilash
We all enjoy services. We all need manufacturing. Look around you. Someone made what you see.
Obvious. But if you think about it, stunning.
Gary S. Vasilash is an editor for Gardner Business Media, where he has worked since 1987. Vasilash started his career covering manufacturing at the Society of Manufacturing Engineers in 1977. His work has appeared in a number of publications, ranging from the Wall Street Journal to the Industrial Laser Review, and he has made presentations to organizations ranging from the Association for Manufacturing Technology to the American Iron and Steel Institute.
Daniel B. Dallas, editor-in-chief, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, and editor, Tool & Manufacturing Engineers Handbook. When Dallas interviewed me for what was to become my first job out of graduate school, he said to me, “I can hire an engineer and teach him how to write or hire a writer and teach him engineering.” He taught me engineering, which has led to the opportunity to meet manufacturers, designers, engineers and executives from small job shops to the likes of General Motors, an experience the likes of which that young guy out of grad school would have never imagined.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers, senior editor, 1977 to 1982. Worked on Manufacturing Engineering, Robotics Today and CAD/CAM Technologies Edited SME technical papers.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers, contributing editor, 1982 to 1984. Contributed to Manufacturing Engineering.
- The Rockford Institute, associate editor, 1982 to 1984. Edited Chronicles of Culture and The Rockford Papers
- Temple Associates, creative director, 1984-1986. Created advertisements, brochures, news releases and other items for the industrial advertising agency that was focused on manufacturing equipment suppliers.
- Gardner Business Media, editor-in-chief, 1987 to present. Worked on Production, Automotive Production, Automotive Manufacturing & Production, Automotive Design & Production, AutoBeat, and Time Compression Contributed to Modern Machine Shop and Products Finishing magazines.
- 1976: Eastern Michigan University, BSc
- 1977: Eastern Michigan University, M.A.
- Trained in lean production by Freudenberg-NOK
Gary Vasilash has spent most of his four-decades’ long career writing about manufacturing for a variety of industry publications. He has written about everything from machine tool technology to the Toyota Production System, from tool steels to advanced composites materials. He has written literally hundreds of articles about manufacturing.
Richard G. Kline, Sr.